Sunday, May 16, 2010

.good afternoon, sunday.







Hello friends. Where do I even begin?! Today I write to you from Nashville, yes, Nashville. We have returned here, briefly, to take care of several things, including cleaning out the storage unit that contained all our belongings. Most of what we had decided to keep after our moving sale was in that unit. While viewing YouTube videos of the insane destruction that occurred due to the floods that hit the Nashville area on May 1st & 2nd, we saw a video that actually showed the exact location where our storage unit was. Sure enough, ours was flooded out. Then we found out that the insurance company that was used by the storage company has denied everyone's claim because our policy did not have "flood coverage". What should have been a liberating start to our first week in Wilmington became a one of stress and tension instead. As much as I tried to remind myself of the fact that we were trying to "simplify" it was hard to come to grips with the fact that the few things we held dear were now gone. We returned to Nashville last Tuesday. We made a trip to the unit and if it wasn't hard enough to know everything was underwater, it was harder to see things taken over by mold and the awful, musty stench of sewer and chemical filled water. Photos were ruined beyond recognition. Even now, it's hard for me to think about without feeling absolutely nauseated. We still have a few more things to clear out. I took pictures of a lot of things, but honestly, I need to move beyond this. Others have lost much more than we did and I need to remember that. Entire homes were swept away. The lives of loved ones taken. We are still here. That's what should matter.

To be honest, I'm not sure how this adventure will play out. I admit, I'm a little numb. We are still looking for a place. Harder than we thought it would be. With that said, good things have happened; my husband starts his new job in Wilmington this week, we have met some awesome new folks, we have played in the water and sand. ;) Good things will and are happening. Life definitely has its way of throwing curve balls your way. I'm trying to do my best to hit those bad boys out of the park.

Hope you all are doing well. Once things settle, I'll be back to catch up with all of you, until then, take care!

9 comments:

  1. Your warm heart, tenacious spirit, and positive mindset will ensure that GOOD THINGS will come your way, even in the face of adversity! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, may I crawl into these photos. They are so beautiful. :) Hope things are good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Your spirit sounds strong and I admire your courageous out look. I look forward to hearing about all the wonderful things that will come into your new life. (hug) Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my god Kat, I had no idea this was going on for you, I feel soooooo for you and sending you lots of love and strength. Everything will be fine because you are more than fine and you have your beautiful family. Thinking of you and sending you loving thoughts. Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear...
    I was hoping the things left were stuff like pots and pans not photos and such...
    I hope you can heal from this...Even though others have lost more you must still allow yourself to grieve and feel whatever it is you need to feel. In our minds we know that things are just that, but we are attached to and "in love" with some of our possessions.
    Good luck with finding a place and feeling at home...
    xo
    Andrea
    (the kiwi was so hard it stood on it's own for about an hour!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this a few days ago and I didn't leave a comment then because all the words I could think of seemed shallow and not enough. But you have been on my mind these days. Sending you good thoughts and lots of love.

    P.S.: Those photos are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .kat. - that you can go out and make beautiful photos such as these shows an indomitable spirit! You and your family will overcome these trials too! Stay strong. You understand what is valuable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a lot of sadness to go through in such a short amount of time! Kat, I'm wishing you well in getting through the loss as you are trying to build a new life in a new place - It is almost as if you have a blank slate now from which to create a new home. I can tell you will make it a beautiful one.

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know. . . you've already brightened my day!