Friday, June 19, 2009

.helping a child...one stitch at a time.

From the moment I found out I was to become a mother, I have always had the desire to want to create things for my child. The kinds of things that have meaning and purpose. One evening, restless, I put my novice knitting skills into use and began to make a wee cap for my little newborn's head. A soft, dusty rose, rolled brim cap. It was a pattern I followed from a book titled Itty Bitty Hats by Susan Anderson. The hat I knitted ended up being just a tad too big for her at first (remember. . . novice) but after a few months, she was finally able to wear it. Soon, life would get busier. Much busier. I found myself back to work, not by choice but by necessity , pulling anywhere from 50 to 60 hours a week helping to manage a very large craft and decor store. Needless to say, I had very little time and energy to spend in making anything, sometimes, that meant even dinner! What time I did have, I wanted to spend with my daughter. Now, let's fast forward to the present. There was a move, a job change, and my daughter has turned two. Life is getting better, and I think I can finally get back into the creative mode.

Amongst the projects I have in mind for my little one, I am also anxious to start a project for a group called Craft Hope. I came across their mission during a visit to Zee's blog. In the last project, the goal was to receive about 30-40 dolls to bring to an orphanage in Nicaragua. A whopping 405 dolls were actually received! You can read more about this story by reading Eren's post here. Project #3 is already underway, this time, the goal is to provide blankets, beanies and booties to newborn babies in India. The projects can be knitted, crocheted, or sewn. The deadline to submit a finished piece, or several, is July 25th. If you are interested in helping out, follow the instructions listed in this post: Project #3. Don't forget to sign up for the emails!

Knowing that there are communities out there that seek to provide children, who they will probably never meet, with a gift of something handmade for them, warms every inch of my heart. A simple act of kindness can help to restore one's faith in humanity. And we're going to do that, one stitch at a time.

3 comments:

  1. For those of you reading this
    post, forgive me for all the
    rambling. I woke up at 3:30
    and could not go back to sleep.
    So I decided to blog. I'm still
    not quite awake so I'm not even
    sure if THIS makes any sense!
    :oP

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it makes sense. well, it does to me, anyway. but i can follow your nonsense as well as you can follow mine. <3 so, what all kinds of finished projects do they accept? you know i can't crochet, but i can hand stitch some stuff. been thinking of trying my hand at quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey kerri!
    for this particular project
    they are looking specifically
    for blankets, booties and caps.
    They can be sewn (hand stitching
    is groovy!), crocheted or knitted.
    Just keep in mind that these will
    be given to newborns. Be sure to
    check out the site for specifics.
    :oD

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know. . . you've already brightened my day!