Friday, March 25, 2011

.coming home.

Untitled
Inside an old cabin at Fiddler's Grove.  Lebanon, Tennessee

It was a nice, somewhat hectic, refreshing and yet draining trip to Nashville.  Time definitely flies.  It seems almost months ago since we drove up there.  Myself, my two younger cousins, my Uncle and his wife, and my Aunt joined up in Nashville to sort through and clean out my Grandfather's home.  It was a rather fun trip as we all joked around and still managed to work at the same time.  For the most part.  There is a comfort in knowing your quirks are hereditary as other members in the family are just as strange as you are.  The "artistic Evans" side of the family.  For me, being there with all of them really made me realize just how fortunate I am to have this quirky family.  Not just for their artistic talents, but for their humor and sincerity.  It was like being back at the house in Kailua where everyone gathered together, lost in each others' company, anxious to share their stories.  When my grandparent's moved back to the Mainland, we seemed to have lost that connection.  Everyone was so spread out, from Hawai'i all the way now to North Carolina.  But being there with family, despite the sad circumstances, was like coming home.  Even now, I feel myself getting choked up as I realize it is up to us now to keep the family connected, inspired. 

I've been home for almost a week and every emotion has flooded over me.  Tonight, I'm a little melancholy and simply "out of it", partly due to the fact that I had a cracked molar pulled out yesterday that was infected so my face is swollen and still hurts.  I'll quit my crying.  ha!  I am glad to be back here in my own home with my family.  I was grateful that my little one was able to come with me to Nashville.  She enjoyed every minute of it.  And so did I.  I'll share with you more soon about some of the neat things I was able to take home with me, like a suitcase and footlocker of nothing but old family photos dating as far back as the mid 1800s, maybe even earlier.  Another reason why I love photography.  

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend my friends!


2 comments:

  1. upheaval is never fun, much less at an emotional and also painful time. hope the tooth is better soon. sorry i missed you being in nashville - i didn't know until the last minute that i was going. we stayed right by the Vandy stadium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds as if you were able to really connect with family during what can be a tedious job of sorting through belongings...home sweet home as well though!

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know. . . you've already brightened my day!