Sunday, January 25, 2009

.Rabbie Burns.

My love is like a red red rose
That's newly sprung in June:
My love is like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in love am I:
And I will love thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
And I will love thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee weel, my only love.
And fare thee weel awhile!
And I will come again, my love,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.
~My Love is Like a Red Red Rose

Today marks the 250th birthday of Scotland's favorite poet, Robert Burns.  Surprisingly, many have never heard of him, although they know the words to some of his poems, and songs.  In most of the English speaking world, after the clock has struck midnight on New Year's Day, we sing the infamous song, "Auld Lang Syne," which is most likely the most popular of all is work.  In Scotland, many celebrate the anniversary of his birth with a gathering called, "Burn's Night."  Unfortunately, tonight our plans had to change, so we did not get a chance to "toast the haggis," and down our whiskey.  Instead I make mention of this bard here, a brief tribute to a man from my husband's hometown, Alloway in Ayrshire, wishing him a very glorious 250th birthday, wherever he may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just so you know. . . you've already brightened my day!