Friday, March 13, 2009

.from french country cuisine to French Ruffenach.

I love food.  There's no question about it.  There isn't anything that I won't try at least once.  Well. . . unless it's still alive and squirming.  Ha!  My favorite choices of international cuisine usually comprises that of Thai, Japanese, and Italian.  Occasionally, the Southern deep fried chicken and green beans gets tossed into the list.  Oh! and seafood.  I LOVE seafood!  While watching my favorite Disney-Pixar movie, Ratatouille, with my daughter for what seems to be the millionth time, I couldn't help but want to head back into the kitchen to retrieve this lovely cookbook by Anne Willan.  As I imagine what pleasant flavors and aromas the recipes in this book contain, I can hear the French t.v. announcer from the movie say these opening lines. . . 
"Although many of the world's countries
would like to dispute this fact, 
we French know the truth.
The best food in the world
is made in France. . . "
I have never had a French meal before.  And for any smart aleck who may be reading this, you and I both know that "toast" and "fries" do NOT count.  There was an adventurous energy flowing through me that day when I opened up the pages to this cookbook for the first time.  "One day," I told myself, "I will be brave enough to gather up the ingredients and create one of these wonderful dishes.  One day."  Well, that day has not yet come, but it WILL!   
As the saying goes, "Never judge a book by its cover."  This one, however, was an exception to that rule.  Flipping through the book, you find yourself drawn to the artful photography of French Ruffenach.  Her images capture the faces, the life and landscape, the colors and textures, and of course, the cuisine, that collectively paints the beautiful portrait of French country life.  True, the book itself is made in such a way that you'd rather have it on your coffee table as opposed the the kitchen countertop.  Either way, it is a must have for anyone who loves photography, and better yet, who also loves to cook!

4 comments:

  1. I had a meal in a french restaurant when i was in London in October last year. Amazing food and wine. Unfortunately my french learnt at school some years before did NOT stand up to the strain. lol :o) Great photos. Had a look at the linked website and was very impressed with the photography. Lovely delicate style... a bit like yours in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Well i have had the pleasure of a lot of french food... Growing up in the south of England we used to nip over to France a lot on the ferry... I have also spent a fair amount of time in Paris over the years. When I was a teenager I went on an exchange to stay with a family and I remember the mother teaching me to cook frogs legs! Yes really...This book looks gorgeous by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello it's me again... try Elizabeth David, French Country Cooking, it's an old one but a good one, my grandmother cooked from it continuously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not the only one to love food :) I like to cook simple meals such as Quiche, Gratin, salad,... The pictures of the book are beautiful.

    Cathy
    French course

    ReplyDelete

Just so you know. . . you've already brightened my day!